Basic Requirements for Amate House Volunteers
- College degree or equivalent life experience
- United States Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Between 21 and 29 years of age
- Single (unmarried)
- 10 and a half month commitment from approximately late-July/early-August to mid-June
- Desire and ability to perform full-time volunteer service work at a mutually-arranged site
- Interest and capacity to live in a faith-based, intentional community with 9-12 peers
- Motivation to grow personally, spiritually, intellectually, and professionally
- Openness to participation in a Catholic-based program
- Complete application
- 3 references (two professional, one peer)
- Interview with Amate House Staff
Note: Some placement sites (i.e. teaching, nursing, physical therapy) require a first professional degree and/or certification. Also, some positions require Spanish language skills.
We are now accepting applications for our 2013-14 Program Year. Once we receive your application, we will process it in the following way:
- 1-2 weeks after receiving application: A member of the Program Staff will contact you about scheduling a Q&A phone call. This is an opportunity for you to ask us any questions that you have about Amate House. We will ask you a few general questions about your application as well. During this time, we will schedule a formal interview.
- 1-3 weeks after Q&A phone call: You will have a formal sit-down interview with 2 members of the Amate House Staff. Interviews typically last between 45-60 minutes. Our Staff strongly prefers in-person interviews, but we also conduct interviews over Skype. At the conclusion of your interview, the Amate House Staff will give you a timeline regarding when you will be informed about a decision of acceptance. Generally, our timeline is between 3-6 weeks, depending whether the early or final deadline has passed.
The site placement process begins after a prospective Volunteer has committed to Amate House for the coming year. We typically start the process of placing Volunteers in late February or early March. A list of potential sites (based on his/her preferences) is sent to the Volunteer, and the Volunteer selects between 2-4 sites to interview. In-person interviews are always preferred - some sites require in-person interviews. Learn more about where we serve and the site placement process by clicking here.